How do I learn a foreign language on my own?
Many of us want to start learning a language but don’t know where to start. That’s why we offer a few practical tips to help you immerse yourself in the wonderful world of language learning!
1. You should start with the easiest but very effective means: to surround yourself with the language you are learning. Translate your phone from Russian into a foreign language, watch videos, movies, TV series in the original (but do not forget about subtitles!), listen to podcasts and much more. It’s really hard at first, but it’ll meet your expectations for all 100! After all, in this way you create a database of your knowledge – vocabulary. But it is very important to choose what you really like, otherwise your interest in learning the language will quickly fade.
2. The following advice stems from the previous one: Never miss unfamiliar words! If you see or hear some unfamiliar word, it is better not just to write it down, but also to fix it in your head. You can do it in any way convenient for you: with flash cards, associations, multiple prescriptions, etc. There are a lot of methods of study, so it’s up to the small – the choice!
3) Another important step is constant practice, namely communication with native speakers. This is the only way you can really apply all the accumulated knowledge in life and discover a lot of new things for yourself. There will undoubtedly be difficulties in the form of a language barrier, but over time it will give you the opportunity to erase it between you. To meet foreigners, there are many platforms and social networks that will help you not only to find a valuable language partner, but also a possible friend.
4. In turn, a very important basic rule is to introduce a language into your routine, namely its daily learning. That doesn’t mean you have to sit for three hours every day and study the next rule, no! Short regular sessions are much more effective than rote or interval sessions like once a week. The habit of daily training will help you keep your language skills in tone.
5. Also do not neglect mobile applications and training programs. On the vast expanses of the Internet you can find a huge number of them, which will expand your vocabulary, tighten and even determine your level of knowledge of grammar, learn the correct pronunciation. Such entertaining and informative mobile applications will help you to brighten up long waiting in line, long traffic jam and most importantly – to consolidate and improve your knowledge!
6. The next advice will be a bit tedious, but extremely effective! When learning a language, you should think about using a single-language dictionary. But we would advise you to use this method in case you are able to ask for a glass of water in the language you are studying or to reject the purchase of a plastic bag in a supermarket. With this method, you will begin to immerse yourself in the language, see how words are used in one meaning or another, understand the structure of sentence building and the like, which will certainly improve your skills. Just find the right dictionary and you’ll be happy! That was the end of our advice. We sincerely hope that they will be useful and help you understand how to learn foreign languages. Good luck and success in the wonderful language world!